Welcome and Guidance Actions
The welcome and guidance procedure starts as soon as fresher students are admitted to the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos and includes the following actions:
- Welcome designed to inform students about the degree programme structure and how the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos is organized, as well as announcing the guidance and welcome actions available to students.
- Help with finding accommodation provided by the International Office to supplement the information posted by the UPM's student support service on the UPM's web server.
- Provision of information on grants and support for Master students participating in any of the research groups of which programme faculty are members.
- International mentors programme, coordinated by the International Office, designed to provide a welcome and guidance for international students. Student volunteers act as mentors for international students, dealing with matters of cultural differences, accommodation and Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos procedures.
- Personalized attention from the Coordination responsibles of the Master to provide any additional information about the Master's course structure, contents, orientation, etc.
- Students will receive guidance about the enrolment process as part of the Enrolment Scheme implemented by the EMSE Academic Committee. Students shall enrol via the online enrolment platform.
The Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos's IQAS has set up a Tutoring Process that provides student support and guidance mechanisms:
- Tutoring Scheme: the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos's IQAS has set up a Tutoring Process that provides student support and guidance mechanisms. This process establishes that the CAEMSE shall assign each enrolled student a tutor. The tutor shall be a member of EMSE academic personnel. The list of tutors assigned to each student shall be drawn up at the end of the enrolment process. The tutor and student shall hold a preliminary meeting no later than 10 days after the start of the academic year designed to address any questions that the student may have concerning academic guidance and management. At this meeting, the tutor and student shall schedule regular meetings. During these meetings the tutor will deal with any questions the student may have, provide any guidance that he or she may require regarding academic matters and offer support for his or her academic development. The student will also have the option of consulting with the tutor via email. The CAEMSE shall provide any personalized advice on the enrolment process and choice of subjects required by students before a tutor has been assigned. Students shall have to submit EMSE approval for enrolment.
- Academic tutoring by each faculty member to answer questions about the subject he or she teaches: The timetable for academic tutoring can be found in the Teachers tab and is also listed in the teaching schedule of the Departments of which the EMSE faculty are members.
- Mentoring Scheme: the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos's IQAS has set up a Mentoring Scheme, whereby the CAEMSE will assign each enrolled student a mentor. The mentor will be selected from students that have completed their first year in the programme. It is the mentor's job to provide fresher students with any guidance they require on academic, social and administrative matters.
- Special-purpose information sessions on mobility programmes for students, especially regarding international mobility. This is the responsibility of the International Office, which provides students participating in or intending to opt for mobility programmes with guidance and administrative support.
- English language training programmes for students that intend to opt for international mobility programmes, offered by the Language Programme for International Students (PROLINTER) run by the Vice-Rector's Office for International Relations.
- Master's Thesis Assignment Scheme: the Master's Academic Committee shall be responsible for internally assigning supervisors and master's thesis topics to eligible students in each academic year, taking into account student preferences for a specific research line and the workload of potential tutors. Whenever possible, the same faculty member will act as the supervisor of the Master's Thesis and the student's tutor.
- Information on grants and bursaries from the Associate Dean's Office for Student Affairs and on the UPM and Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos web servers.
- Special-purpose actions for international students who will receive assistance with the academic documents required to process visas.
- Special-purpose actions for students with special educational needs and information on accessible entrances for people with disabilities.
- Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos Career Guidance Centre (COLFI): this centre offers guidance and informative support to students intending to apply for industrial internships or grants to complete their Master's Software Project or for jobs after they have completed the course.
- Annual employment forum organized jointly with sector companies to offer recruitment advice to students. This is the responsibility of the Students' Guild in partnership with COLFI.
- UPM email account. Information on how to activate your email account will be available at the UPM web site.
- The Sick Bay is open every day at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos, and the Psychological Support Service offered by the UPM visits the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos once week.